[Burichan] [Futaba] [Braeburn] [Pipes] [Leetchan] [Photon]  -  [Watched Threads]  [Home

Return
Entire Thread
Last 50 posts

Lunachan has moved to http://getchan.net/luna/

/chat/ - Growing Older
File 143647619776.png - (55.68KB , 200x146 , Fluttershy Flower.png )
98715 No. 98715 watch
I used to think perhaps friendship was magic. I used to so admire Fluttershy for her kindness.

I've grown older. I think most of us are aware time kills, and in my case simplicity has died over the years.

Age is a difficult concept for me -- I want to neither approach it as an absolute predictor (all children are immature) nor ignore correlations.

So let me ask, what does growing older mean to you, Lunachan? What does age predict and what does it not predict?
Expand all imagesUnspoiler spoilered text
No. 98716
File 143647911181.jpg - (1.25MB , 3264x2448 , IMG_0410.jpg )
>>98715
What changed?

Friendship still magic and Fluttershy still very much an inspiration here!

Growing older is a bodily function, anything else is a social construct that you can take or leave
No. 98718
File 143648006513.png - (60.51KB , 200x211 , de647b90ddb97fbe5352e7ef4d1ac11b.png )
>>98716
>What changed?
To be kind to someone, I have to make the claim that I know what's best for that person. To make such a claim, I could appeal to conventional ideas of good and bad, but I'm not completely comfortable with that. When I doubt some states of being are objectively better than others, I also doubt the existence of kindness.

>Friendship still magic and Fluttershy still very much an inspiration here!

:)

>Growing older is a bodily function, anything else is a social construct that you can take or leave

Tell me more...
No. 98722
File 143654808842.jpg - (2.48MB , 3264x2448 , IMG_0322.jpg )
>>98718
6_9 yep it's that unusual Flower philosophising, I don't know how you come up with this stuff :p I guess in most cases people will let you know if you're doing right by them? Or we could use the metaphor of the tortoise on its back, unable to get up, belly baking in the sun... is it kind to leave it to struggle, burn and perhaps die, or to give it a helping hoof?
Or, kindness = WWFD, What Would Fluttershy Do :3

"Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional" - the idea of "growing up" to a large degree is a social idea around acting out an age role. It's still possible to stay young of mind and outlook despite physical ageing - after all I'm 33 and still of a 'simple', optimistic mind, still love things for kids etc.
No. 98723
>>98722
>tilts head
Go home Rarity, you're drunk
No. 98733
File 143676758749.jpg - (60.49KB , 600x473 , My-Little-Pony-Fluttershy-Coloring-Page.jpg )
>>98722
>I don't know how you come up with this stuff :p

It is my burder, I guess.

>I guess in most cases people will let you know if you're doing right by them?

Well, right by the conscious part as you understand it. But yes, I get your meaning, some cases are fairly clear.

>is it kind to leave it to struggle, burn and perhaps die, or to give it a helping hoof?
>Or, kindness = WWFD, What Would Fluttershy Do :3
I'm sure Fluttershy would help. Implicit in that is the belief that it would be better to die later than sooner, better to die in some unknown way tomorrow than a known way today.

I was a part of an online community of people who rehabilitated orphans baby squirrels. These people put a lot of time, energy, and money into raising the young to release when they became squirrel adolescents and "wild up." After release, most won't survive into adulthood, and every year there's another crop of orphans -- nobody can save them all. Many wildlife rehabiatition places simply euthanize baby squirrels if someone brings them one (the squirrel rehabbers get really worked up over this). The advice on South Dakota's Games Fish and Parks website about wildlife is, "if you care, leave it there." Many people with good intentions end up killing baby animals.

I just don't know anymore.

>an age role.
Judith Butler would like that idea. Age performativity she'd call it. :)

>young of...outlook; a 'simple', optimistic mind, still love things for kids etc.

Ah, you will avoid become a Cranky Doodle Donkey by the power of your volition. Perhaps.

Wish I could believe it were so simple...

---

"Peter," she said, faltering, "are you expecting me to fly away with you?"
"Of course; that is why I have come." He added a little sternly, "Have you forgotten that this is spring cleaning time?"
She knew it was useless to say that he had let many spring cleaning times pass.
"I can't come," she said apologetically, "I have forgotten how to fly."
"I'll soon teach you again."
"O Peter, don't waste the fairy dust on me."
She had risen; and now at last a fear assailed him. "What is it?" he cried, shrinking.
"I will turn up the light," she said, "and then you can see for yourself."
For almost the only time in his life that I know of, Peter was afraid. "Don't turn up the light," he cried.
She let her hands play in the hair of the tragic boy. She was not a little girl heart-broken about him; she was a grown woman smiling at it all, but they were wet-eyed smiles.
Then she turned up the light, and Peter saw. He gave a cry of pain; and when the tall beautiful creature stooped to lift him in her arms he drew back sharply.
"What is it?" he cried again.
She had to tell him.
"I am old, Peter. I am ever so much more than twenty. I grew up long ago."
"You promised not to!"
"I couldn't help it.”

-

But perhaps we need not all be Wendy...
No. 98737
Frankly, I think I haven't lost my spirit I have had since I was child. By my spirit I mean ability to dream and being able to take risks at times. I think those are one of important aspects of being young.

I'm not afraid physically growing up. In fact, I want to be coolest adult Earth has ever faced! : )

>>98733
I think it's depective to think there is absolute good or bad. Both of them are only matter of subjective perspective. I believe best way is to strive with most workable solution.
No. 98756
File 143717268942.png - (249.04KB , 900x1070 , tumblr_m7wbbtJK671qc5ffho1_1280-2.png )
>>98733
Doesn't seem like too much fun for ya

Well, it's true that sometimes you have to be "cruel to be kind" if you reasonably know better. I guess it's not an absolute..

True, I think that's reasonable unless there's a really high likelihood of it dying in some horrible way if rescued but even then life tends to favour "trying"

Aww they sound like very nice people! I think that only reiterates that life is about trying... especially in the wild, survival rates can be slim but the survivors are the ones that try.
I should think so on the annoyance at the squirrels just being euthanised the moment they're brought in. Either care about them or don't, what's the point in existing just to kill things.

'murica :/

I've never heard of Judith Butler. Don't know what to make of that!

So far so good on avoiding becoming Cranky. I suppose like most things in life it depends what happens - I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by good people

>Peter Pan?
I don't know whether I like it or not. I never want to "grow up" and in that sense I've always since as long as I can remember said I'm a 'bit of a Peter Pan' but I'm not sure if I like that snippet's attitude towards physical ageing. I'd have liked if it'd followed on like

"But you have stayed young of mind!"
"This is true. I'm old, but I'm still the same little girl I always was."
"Well then that's all I ask"
No. 98763
File 143739123638.jpg - (29.75KB , 400x600 , 2013-02-18_8-08-03--76_110_106_126--_DollDivine_Pi.jpg )
>>98737

>I haven't lost my spirit

>ability to dream and being able to take risks at times. I think those are one of important aspects of being young.

Dreaming is thinking of things that aren't real. Yes, the young dream. And the young have nightmares...

>In fact, I want to be coolest adult Earth has ever faced! : )

>Both of them are only matter of subjective perspective.
Do you think good and bad are completely subjective?

>>98737

>Doesn't seem like too much fun for ya
It can be isolating. You must be a bit like me, too, I think, to even want to talk to me. I would guess you understand at least a little.

>True, I think that's reasonable unless there's a really high likelihood of it dying in some horrible way if rescued but even then life tends to favour "trying"

Yes.

>Aww they sound like very nice people!

Unless someone messes with their 'babies' or sometimes by extention their ideas about the right way to raise squirrels, they are very nice.

>Either care about them or don't, what's the point in existing just to kill things.

Ah...it bothers you, too.

>I've never heard of Judith Butler. Don't know what to make of that!

She's a feminist writer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_performativity

I don't think her theories are very complete, but she gained influence within the feminists.

>I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by good people

I'll try not to be too much of a bad influence, then. ;)

>"This is true. I'm old, but I'm still the same little girl I always was."
>"Well then that's all I ask"

Literature can be kind of hard on adulthood -- the loss of innocence. If I were a smart person I'd probably be able to talk about why that might be. It's probably a fairly modern idea. Farther in the past children were seen a little devils who needed strict control to turn them right. Interesting how the pendulum can swing.

Psychologists will say that children are happiest at preschool and early school age, then things start to fall apart as their narcissism starts to give way to the reality that other children might actually be faster, or stronger, or smarter than them. They begin to understand competition. But...those studies are on children in America (I think) going to American schools, so it might not be universal, but a result of schooling.

I think that a lot social ideas are half-truths. As you get older you get to shed some of the half-truths you've been taught and there's a kind of freedom in that.

One of the most undeniable aspects of an aging mind is a loss of plasticity -- the loss of the ability to change quickly. Language is a clear example -- most can only be deeply fluent in a language they learned before adulthood. But you never completely loose the ability to change or learn, either.

I said before as I get older things seem more complex. Perhaps there's a kind of new youth on the other side of complexity, though.

Whether I'd be able to fly to Neverland, I don't know...
No. 98779
>>98763
Yeah, I do find it subjective. It's true there are matters generally considered good or bad. In the end, I think most crucial thing is to determine yourself what is important.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts]