[Burichan] [Futaba] [Braeburn] [Pipes] [Leetchan] [Photon]  -  [Watched Threads]  [Home

Return
Entire Thread
Last 50 posts
First 100 posts

Lunachan has moved to http://getchan.net/luna/

/chat/ - Bullied for being a My Little Pony fan
File 139148869286.jpg - (60.28KB , 500x281 , Pinkie-Pie-Crying.jpg )
94748 No. 94748 watch
MOD NOTE: Old thread, got bumped by a spammer, so locked. Disclaimer, this is a serious topic, this is not to be silly, or ignite arguments, but just to simply raise awareness on a particular subject. If you don't like any of that or arguing over something, please take it elsewhere.

I do not know how many of you know this, but recently an 11 year old boy by the name of Michael was bullied by his peers at school for being a brony, pretty much liking My Little Pony. Bullied so much, the kid contemplated and acted on suicide. :(

Fortunately it was stopped in time. While Michael is still alive, a lack of oxygen caused brain damage and now he's hospitalized.

The family has reached out to the brony community to fundraise money to pay for medical costs, but awesomely the brony community has been very generous with donations.

I do not know what will happen, personally I'm hoping this boy recovers. My mom had a head injury with damaged part of her brain, and even with help she can live fine. I'm hoping the kid recovers. The sad thing is this is when bullying really pushes it too far (I don't even think I knew the word suicide at 11 myself, and I was bullied quite a bit as a kid myself)

I'm posting this to raise some awareness. People have donated, but if you don't feel comfortable with donating (no one is forcing you), then please keep this kid in your thoughts, prayers, etc. Some in the community have done things like give away cupcakes in his name, or even create artwork for the kid and his family.

Articles:
Chicago Now (best write up): http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2014/02/11-yr-old-boy-bullied-for-being-a-brony-fighting-for-life-after-suicide-attempt-how-you-can-
help/
Equestria Daily: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/01/michael-morones-recovery-fund.html
RED Talent (MLP VA agency) Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152159763100250&id=119872438317&stream_ref=10

Thank you for your support. Big thank you to Cloud for telling me this and Zeke for okaying posting this.

Posting Pinkie Pie because the article states it's Michael's favorite pony.
Expand all imagesUnspoiler spoilered text
No. 94750
I found this moments after I created the thread, but didn't get a chance to post it right away, so here's an article from an actual local news station

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9418200
No. 94755
+1 to all of that

Really feel awful for this boy and his family. Sadly the various sources have been saying not to expect miracles - he'll have an as yet undetermined level of brain function and will be needing lifelong care. This is one of the reasons that every little helps in terms of donations, and general support for his family. It's heartbreaking enough to us, so to his family it's - well, for me it's unimaginable.

We're all just doing all we can to look after one of our own in his time of need, being the supportive friends he didn't have standing up for him in school, and hoping/praying that he'll make the best recovery he can.

Whatever good people have in them, be it helping out with contributions, well wishes, the various projects to send supportive message and art, or even just "letting us have this one" if for whatever reason you feel it's unwarranted, every positive thing is greatly appreciated <3
No. 94770
Michael Morones's story is very sad, both for him and his family. :(

I feel I should do something. But I'm not sure what...

--

It looks like in America, in the age range 5-14, about 0.8 in 100,000 commit suicide per year, some estimate perhaps one hundred times more children attempt it. If these figures are correct, in the age range of 5-14, about 1 in 100 adolescents will attempt suicide...
No. 94771
File 139157176131.png - (45.20KB , 1284x419 , 1391570726099.png )
http://gawker.com/wait-but-bronies-who-rape-and-molest-little-girls-an-1516283933

Some awful feminists were trying to pick on bronies, and acted as if their behavior didn't contribute to things like what happened to Michael. These people just are dead set on driving every pegasister they can find away from feminism.
No. 94772
File 139158630810.gif - (488.67KB , 800x450 , 1378112712615[1].gif )
i come from /mlp/ and i have seen a constant stream of pisstakes and attempts to give this kid an even bigger reason to die.

that said no 12 year old boy should ever want to commit suicide, that is just rank.

looking at the hard facts the kid is likely stuffed, if he even wakes up it is likely he will just want to die.

what i want to know is why this kid even revealed he's a brony, and why his issues were not picked up, every kid bullies, humans love to hate and cause pain, i myself can attest to the strength of that urge, however why does a 12 year old kid even know how to commit suicide.

on a side note the fact that his parents asked for donations looks fishy to me, there is little proof he was even a brony at all really.

i think this kid is a warning more than anything else, a warning to keep {private matters like being a brony} to yourself, and a warning to parents to keep an eye on the state of your kids mental health.
No. 94776
>>94770
I think all well wishes are read and appreciated, to their Twitter account for example.

>>94771
Unfortunately, awful people come in all shapes and sizes.

>>94772
A certain Penny Arcade strip concerning anonymity comes to mind where four chan is concerned (no offense)

They're hoping the best for if/when he wakes up, maybe he will find a way to enjoy life again and also realise how much he's loved.

I don't see why anyone should have to hide their personality and interests, especially not a kid, and no doubt he didn't either. Much better to improve teaching and parenting, and do more to discourage bullying. Kids aren't born with a concept of "girly" or "manly", that's something that's taught by the ignorance they're raised with.

His stepfather contacted Andrea Libman to ask for a message of support, that's all (and he probably didn't expect a response).
Source: The Chicago Now write-up in the OP (re-join the word 'help' that got truncated from the link)
Things like the donations therefore went on from there, driven by Eilemonty amongst others.
The article also clarifies that he'd already been talking about being bullied for that reason but appeared to be coping with it and comforted by his religion.
It answers quite a few such questions.
There is of course always a small chance with anything like this of the facts being distorted, but ultimately I see nothing wrong in wanting to help a sick child and his family and in choosing to assume the best of intentions instead of the worst. Not everyone in the world is out to lie and cheat.
No. 94779
>>94770
Just keep the kid in your thoughts and give him best wishes.

Interesting statisics, Dunno about my age then, but most likely it never came to mind with me, nor did I ever hear the word. Even then some kids may know the word "kill" and connect it with the word "myself", which could be the case too. Either way, no one should think that.

>>94772
What I think really is that the schools just don't care. The parents gave him the old "just be yourself, it doesn't matter what others think", from the sounds of it it's just the traditional name calling.

I was once called "gay" for being a Jimmy Neutron fan in my school. When kids throw around the word "gay" it really is just a cruel way to say stupid that sounds meaner than saying "stupid". There haven't even been reports of other bullying (such as getting beaten up)

>i think this kid is a warning more than anything else, a warning to keep {private matters like being a brony} to yourself

That, I would have to disagree with there. I love ponies, and some days when I go out, I have on a pony t-shirt. Not once did anyone come up to me and called me "gay", if anything I gotten complements from girls my age (eh ponies are a chick magnet. X3), but hiding it is not a solution. I strongly feel if someone likes something, and feel comfortable with it, then they can be open with it.

If some want to hide it, that's fine, but some like to be open about it, even if it means getting insulted. The way I see it when I'm out "People don't know me personally, it doesn't matter what they think", and I wear my pony shirt with confidence. Though, if someone physically hurt me just for liking ponies, then I have every right to report that to the authorities. Sorry, assault is assault, no matter why it's done.

Being bullied stems from school, that's literally a place the kid had to go to everyday, so instead of it being a one time thing, he saw these kids every day. Not to mention the old saying goes "Kids can be cruel".

>warning to parents to keep an eye on the state of your kids mental health.

Agree here, if possible get your kid help as in someone to talk to.

>>94776
>Kids aren't born with a concept of "girly" or "manly", that's something that's taught by the ignorance they're raised with.

Second this, most kids between ages 5-13 watch channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, while shows may not reinforce that, commercials do. Seeing a MLP commercial with a little girl skipping to Canterlot teaches kids "this is for little girls, who like to be princesses and skipping with ponies"

There really is no rule, I can name a bunch of shows I liked growing up that were marketed (the keyword) to girls. Powerpuff Girls, all the merch was for girls, I even wanted a PPG shirt and never had one because they had frilly styles and not just a regular t-shirt. Another was Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi, the soundtrack CD and art were coated in pink. Kim Possible is another one that had toys marketed to girls.

Sad thing is TV commercials reinforce this and since kids at a young age watch TV they get it into their head "this is for girls, that's for boys". Anyone can play with toys. When I think of toys I think of my play kitchen, was heavily a girls toy when I was a kid, but I played with it. I'm fine with the way I am, if anything I do have a love for cooking at times. ^^

I will say linking cute things like ponies or even skipping is not gay in my book. Ha, if anything I skip for exercise and don't get me started on how tired you'll be after a skip run. XD In all seriousness, most kids use "gay" because it's the most insulting compared to "stupid", at least that's what I got when I heard it said (one kid called Jimmy Neutron gay...... meanwhile last season, he was falling in love with a girl.... there goes that theory. XD)
No. 94780
>>94779
>that's literally a place the kid had to go to everyday, so instead of it being a one time thing,

By one time thing, I mean like a store, most of the time the shoppers you see, you have a very slim chance of running into them again. Whereas school, you're definitely likely to run into them again.
No. 94784
>>94779
Very true with the ads, which are still very much 'girl' (dammit Hasbro, do keep up)

Indeed. I wasn't actually into much 'marketed towards girls' stuff back then (and I remember seeing MLP as awful girly stuff of course :P) but always liked the cuter stuff. Give mini-Cloud some cute raccoons or some happy pizza munching turtles over "He-Man" any day.

I've never quite understood how things get linked to "gay". You're gay if you have romantic/sexual feelings for the same gender, liking cute things has got nothing to do with it :P But of course, it's long ingrained into people as an insult as well, which is silly nowadays.
No. 94785
>>94784
Yup. Hehe I remember the Canterlot Target commercial like it was yesterday. Two girls, skipping to the pony toys after Celestia says "follow me" (is it me or all these commercials say "follow me" O_o). But because girls are in the commercial it reinforces to kids "this is for girls".

>Hasbro, do keep up

Now I wonder what a pony commercial with a boy be like, or better yet, a boy and a girl. Ah the marketing. "The most fun you can have with your sister". Maybe possible brother/sister fun time. ^^

D'aww, but even the cartoon Turtles did look cute too (face wise anyway), even though they are strong ninjas with muscles.... and pizza. X3

>You're gay if you have romantic/sexual feelings for the same gender

Exactly the real meaning, aside from also meaning "happy" in the past. It is a silly, kids use it as a word to hurt others and it isn't right.

Granted gay is used as a meaning for same-sex when older, kids often will use it as an insult, like I said, it's a harsher way of saying "stupid" or the like (Example, a bully says "Hey everyone Timmy loves ponies, he's gay" out loud and everyone laughs.... not really a good feeling at all. :( )
No. 94787
>>94776
>I think all well wishes are read and appreciated,
The FundMe site is being difficult. I'll try again later. :)

--

I can't say suicide was something that was on my mind when I was 11 or 12...

Strange though it is, I realize that this event causes me to research statistics, because statistics help me make sense of the significance of what happened.

According to the 2009 Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance (Center for Disease Control and Prevention), among high school students, 17% females and 10% males reported serious consideration of suicide in the past year, 13% females and 9% males reported having a suicide plan, and 8% females and 5% males stated they had made a suicide attempt. Roughly one-third of the attempts led to medical attention. In another study, 40% of those who attempted suicide in young adulthood had also attempted it in elementary school.

So...I can deduce that 1 in 30 children will attempt suicide in elementary school. In general, such young children are not very effective at actually killing themselves. (Sites say children only succeed once for every 100 attempts, but the numbers don't seem to match that statement.)

So the numbers are a bit shaky. But...I am getting the impression that suicide attempts amoung children as young as 11 are more prevalant than I would have previously thought.

When it comes to suicide, three common predictors are (1) capacity to physically commit the act, (2) a thwarted sense of belonging, and (3) a feeling that the world would be better off if you were dead.

>>94772
>a warning to keep {private matters like being a brony} to yourself

I don't know, but I can't fault someone for hiding because they feel they have to. I want to say people should be open, honest, and fearless...but I'm not looking at the world through the eyes of an eleven year old... I don't know...

>a warning to parents to keep an eye on the state of your kids mental health.

From my attempts to bring up suicide, I find that most people want to ignore attempts to talk about it. People can get angry at you. Which I can understand -- suicide involves a lot of hard ideas. But being ignored or shamed adds to the sense of isolation. Of course, people do what they must; there's no point in blaming them for being human.

So, I guess I have to look at suicide as just something that occurs in human populations. This story shows that it occurs even in the younger members.

I don't know...
No. 94788
>>94787
>The FundMe site is being difficult. I'll try again later. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the FundMe site's comment section uses Facebook to log in. Though all it uses is your picture and name, it won't post to your wall.
No. 94792
File 139166894297.png - (105.16KB , 491x316 , 1378288754561[1].png )
the fact remains. the kid should've known better.
kids are cruel, and thats just the way it is. this one decided he wanted to show his power level reveal the fact that e was a brony, but he should have been prepped to weather the storm. the thing that people need to know is that being a brony is frowned upon, and that if you tell people you need to understand that there will be crap headed your way.

also like i said parents NEED to know what the kid is doing. when i got bad my parents too me to a shrink, and i was not even that far gone. for this kid to want to kill himself he MUST have shown it, a 12 year old kid just would not be able to hide that, so blame to the parents to.

however the primary kids who bullied him are free of blame i believe, kids gonna be kids, and you would need a bullet to stop that.

what am i getting at by this. i dont think this is a bullying issue.
it s simply a boy with what is either mental health issues or astoundingly low self esteem coupled with bad parents and a lapse, or oversight in judgement, there is no real brony issue here.>

>where four chan is concerned (no offense)

four chan likes to be thought of as the bad guys. we are are not that bad really. making fun of this kid is just a way to feel bad and nasty, and if people get upset at the jokes then its just gonna get worse, ignore them and it will go away.

>>Kids aren't born with a concept of "girly" or "manly"

yeah, but they can sniff an outcast from a mile away. even if they did not think he was girly they would have nailed him for having strange tastes, sometimes it just pays to fit in. this was always gonna end bad for the poor kid really.

here, have a pic that fits with the vibes.
No. 94795
>>94792
>the thing that people need to know is that being a brony is frowned upon, and that if you tell people you need to understand that there will be crap headed your way.

Man, I must be doing something wrong, like I said few days I go out with a pony t-shirt, I never get weird looks, attacked, and usually get compliments. Again, I am prepared though, I usually keep in mind "these people don't know me on a personal level and it doesn't matter what they think".

Even sometimes it sparks a nice conversation about ponies if I run into others.

Will be honest, I'd never wear a shirt with the word "brony" on it. I wear ponies because I enjoy wearing t-shirts of my favorite cartoon characters in general. I love t-shirts are the ones that capture the cartoon in one way or another. For example, I much rather wear a Pinkie Pie t-shirt that says "SMILE!" on it than something with a shadow Dash that says "BRONY" on front. If any one asks, I simply say "I love My Little Pony", or "I'm a Pony fan" instead of saying "brony".

Of all the people I know, gosh only one of my friends knows the word "Brony", where he said his sister was dressed as Rainbow Dash for a convention and she said "I'm a brony". He told me she's not since she's not a guy. Then I corrected him and surprised him that the word is used for guys or girls.

Even if the kid had mental health issues (I don't know the kid personally or anything) even then bullying can contribute to it regardless. Even something as simple as being called "gay" can be hurtful (like I said, kids often use "gay" as a way to make "stupid", "crap", or "pathetic" seem worse). Words do hurt, no exceptions to this really

I can mention plenty of times when bullies who picked on me, come back into memory and I cry on very rare occasions. I'm usually a happy guy, but it happens from time to time since the memories stick with you.

Just my two cents from experience and people at school who bullied me. I'm not gonna argue about this. I'm hoping this boy can recover.
No. 94796
File 139167856957.jpg - (96.63KB , 900x506 , 138480374881.jpg )
>>94795

yeah, i was subjected to rather savage bullying too.
though i responded by becoming a better fighter and a more violent person that them.

> I never get weird looks, attacked, and usually get compliments

well they are little kids, and kids are savage in an innocent way man, little Michel may not have known what he was doing, but he was almost assured a shitstorm when he reveled his power level, its just kids man, and most people deal with it in different ways. but very few decide to swing by a noose.

>Even something as simple as being called "gay" can be hurtful

kids being hurtful is a given, if they were not hurting new insults would be made up. people need to realize that kids are not nice creatures, he was a target, they attacked said target simply because they felt like it.

>I'm hoping this boy can recover.

the kid has assured brain damage, most likely he will be stuffed, but miracles do happen. however i would not bank on it friend.
No. 94798
>>94785
Yup I think you showed me at one point and yyyeah it kind of is :P

That would be a very forward thinking advert! Ah if only!

Yep. It was a "being gay = bad" thing at first, but language has evolved and it's been adopted to mean bad but without necessarily the homophobe side.

>>94787
I was aware of it at that age and I know it came to mind at one point (not to massively serious amounts, not enough to try it, but enough to think "well that would be easier")

Quite the numbers. I'm glad it's rare - we really shouldn't have 11 year olds trying things like this and especially not succeeding. This is obviously a very rare incident, and TBH I have a feeling his actions were probably meant for attention / cry for help. I remember from being that age it being quite frustrating if your parents don't take you seriously, and it is mentioned that they kind of thought he was handling it ok. I remember "playing dead" to scare my parents into listening once, perhaps Michael aimed for something more visual and sadly was a bit too successful.

I do seem to recall a story of a kid here not that many years ago "play hanging" and tragically succeeding, I think it's one of those things it's very easy to accidentally be successful with when you don't mean to.

>>94792
Are you really playing the "it's his own fault" card?
No kid should have to hide his interests. The teachers should be listening when he or the other kids say he's being bullied and do something about it, much like they should've learned to in 2000 when a kid was driven to suicide by it (and succeeded).

>being a brony is frowned upon
Not really, only by haters on the internet and a minority who don't understand and react to it by being arseholes.
When you're a kid? No. Being different causes kids to react, sometimes with bullying, but pre-teens really don't have the understanding required to 'frown upon' being a brony (usual reasons cited being a fear of it turning into pedophilia or zoophilia or turning someone gay, none of which are concepts familiar enough for a 10 to 12 year old).

You seem to have this thing of thinking the entire world is 4chan. 4chan is not the world, it's the arse end of the internet where all the scumbags gather to be as nasty as they can, and it's given you quite a paranoid view of other people and how the real world operates. Not everyone is out to make you hang yourself for being male and liking ponies, not everyone is out to steal your personal information, make your life a living Hell and send you pizzas. These are in fact, quite a minority. There IS however a general attitude of "different = bad", which I'll come to later.

>however the primary kids who bullied him are free of blame i believe, kids gonna be kids
Not quite. They're outside of the legal age of responsibility where they could get a criminal record and go to prison (rightly so - ruining their lives for being idiotic when their brains haven't finished developing yet would be ridiculous), but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be taught right and wrong, and disciplined to reinforce when wrong means wrong. Be it revocation of privileges, notification to parents, detention, suspension, whatever, depending on severity.

In the school I went to, they let a bit of bullying go on (because yes, a little bit of thickening of skin can be beneficial and teach some life lessons) but if it got too much, they came down on the bullies. And if it ever caused real harm, there was a zero tolerance policy. Without a doubt, the kids who caused this would've been expelled and their parents would've had to move them to a school for kids with behavioural problems.

>it's simply a boy with what is either mental health issues or astoundingly low self esteem
Maybe, though those are usually more things that manifest themselves in the teens, far as I know. I find it more likely that he only meant for this to be a cry for attention, for people to take his pain at being bullied more seriously, and I remember from hearing of other incidents like this (heck, I remember one being from a bunk bed too) that it's easy to end up genuinely killing yourself by accident.

I don't think the parents are necessarily bad. They thought he was coping ok (getting comfort from the bible and whatnot) and he's out of their sight for most of the day so it's difficult for them to know better.
I'm not really one for wanting to pin blame actually, it's mostly a terrible mix of influences caused by a general societal attitude of "being different = bad" (which you're kinda not helping with here by reinforcing it). If I had to blame something or someone more specific, it'd probably be mostly the school, who should be monitoring behaviour (signs of bulling or being bullied), teaching kids what acceptable behaviour is, and keeping parents on both sides informed.

>there is no real brony issue here.
Yes and no. It's certainly a more general problem, of bullying, and attitudes towards others being different. It's a brony issue in that it's been identified (with I guess some benefit of the doubt) as the reason in this instance, and so the community has decided to set an example to the rest of society and help one of its own. NOTE: that doesn't mean we don't care about the rest of the world, but it only makes sense to start with a minimum of looking out for your own family and friends. If this means 1D fans will be later inspired to look out for a 1D kid who's been bullied for liking 1D (for example), great. If it's big and loud enough to influence society as a whole, wow, awesome. I don't expect that, but "you have to aim for the stars to get to the moon" and other such cliches.

The overall societal attitude CAN change - ever notice how it's now perfectly acceptable for girls to like boys' things, have more traditionally "male" interests, and for them to start careers when they get older instead of being housewives? Right. And yet if a boy likes a girls' thing, oh no, that's gay, he must be stopped. This is the attitude we're trying to discourage. I think we're just a bit behind still on the male side.

>four chan likes to be thought of as the bad guys. we are are not that bad really.
Weren't you telling me in another thread how extremely horrible they can be and the various horrors you've seen there? If you go to any other forum or even chan I can think of online, they're not going around posting gore and CP and trying to get people to kill themselves.

>sometimes it just pays to fit in
Only in the short term, most when others are not understanding acceptable behaviour towards others. Being forced to pretend to be someone else to fit in causes all sorts of problems in the longer term and feeds into society's festering closed-mindedness. Heck, is it any wonder depression is rife these days when it's so strongly encouraged to change yourself to suit everyone else, who are probably all itching to be themselves too...
No. 94799
>>94795
>Even if the kid had mental health issues (I don't know the kid personally or anything) even then bullying can contribute to it regardless

This.

Yes, "kids will be kids", they're finding ways to express themselves in what can be quite a competitive world, and that means some of them will choose to be nasty. But why should that mean we just sit here, shrug and say "well, hard luck kiddo, life sucks".
Dogs will be dogs. They pee on the floor, they don't know better, that's why the puppy left a puddle on your carpet. Well, might as well let them carry on peeing on the carpet, then!
No. 94801
Thinking about what anon said about it being open about ponies and getting flak, I just had the craziest memory.

I was picked on at school, for liking Sonic the Hedgehog. This is NOT the Sonic 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog days when people hated Sonic for a "bad" game, this was during his heyday on the Sega Genesis in the early to mid-90's

There, I was bullied when for liking Sonic when Sonic was popular with the kids. Sad really. XD

>>94796
>well they are little kids, and kids are savage in an innocent way man, little Michel may not have known what he was doing, but he was almost assured a shitstorm when he reveled his power level, its just kids man, and most people deal with it in different ways. but very few decide to swing by a noose.

Indeed, kids haven't learned to be mature yet. In most cases adults are and can accept some things some time.

>kids being hurtful is a given, if they were not hurting new insults would be made up. people need to realize that kids are not nice creatures, he was a target, they attacked said target simply because they felt like it.

Sad thing is this is true. Kids do have a tendency to make up words just to be hurtful. Also as a kid, if you have a brain smart enough, you can make the connection to same-sex which one may think that's what the kids think. Not to mention another meaning for gay is happy.

>the kid has assured brain damage, most likely he will be stuffed, but miracles do happen. however i would not bank on it friend.

Most likely, but if he does recover and wake up, there is a chance that he can live a life. Granted needing help or an assisitant, but it is possible.

>>94798
Mmhmm

It would be pretty awesome if they did that.

Yup! That said if you find coverage of Michael's story on a gay news site, take it with a grain of salt. They will use homophobia as an arguement and base the bullying on that, while "gay" has a different meaning to kids. I even found a Christian news site covering it because the kid read the bible. Certain words, some news groups love to latch on to, if it's a gay/LBGT news site or a Christian news site, please take it with a grain of salt because how some kids can use the word "gay".

>>94799
Thanks!

That said if kids want to be open about something, there's nothing wrong with it. If they get bullied, then they need to talk with the parent who may need to contact the school or even get a counselor about it. It's better to talk rather than keeping it bottled up, and then having it burst out.

Also, kids will pick on anything. Aside from Sonic, I had health issues, therefore when kids found out, they had more reason to laugh at me. :(

If they see something that's stupid and for little kids (like ponies) they'll pick on that kid because he loves something that others who are old and outgrew it thinks it's childish. If there's a health problem that isn't normal, kids will pick on yous.

Bottom line is kids will look for any reason to pick on others. For those picked on, the best thing to do is talk and provide comfort so they feel better, and help them deal with such.
No. 94804
File 139169707132.jpg - (65.67KB , 528x576 , more fny pics.jpg )
And then there's this picture
No. 94808
>>94792

>i dont think this is a bullying issue.
Many -- perhaps even most children -- will be bullied in some way during adolescence. But few seriously think about suicide as a result and very few come close to succeeding. So I think you're somewhat right -- suicide is seldom caused by one event in isolation...

>>94795

>I go out with a pony t-shirt, I never get weird looks,
I'm glad things are going well for you. I've never derived any negative attention from liking My Little Pony, either. I think in some ways, it's nice to be an adult. Not that adults don't bully each other, but...most have more important things to worry about.

>>94796

>but he was almost assured a shitstorm when he reveled his power level
It seems to me that effective bullying preys on insecurities in others. Will there always be a level of insecurity associated with a boy liking something feminine? The behavior is outlying, but are all outlying behaviors associated with insecurity? I guess I don't know...

>>94798

>I know it came to mind at one point (not to massively serious amounts, not enough to try it, but enough to think "well that would be easier")

I see. Have you thought about it recently?

>I'm glad it's rare
Success is very rare. Thinking about it is less rare than I would have thought.

I remember when I was a photographer, one kid told me he wanted to die. He was probably about 11. I didn't do anything, in part I didn't take him seriously -- I figured he was just upset at having a bad day -- and in part I don't know what I would have done that wouldn't have made a big mess. I'd guess people who spend more than 40 seconds with a kid would know what's going on in their mind and life, but it's probably still hard to make a judgement about how serious someone is, even when they do drop hints...

>his actions were probably meant for attention / cry for help.
It's hard to tell, but possibly.

>I remember "playing dead" to scare my parents into listening once,
What did you want them to listen to?
No. 94810
>>94801
Trying to think if I was often picked on for liking Sonic (the character. I was useless at the games) or Turtles etc. Maybe once or twice, but obviously not massively as I can't really remember!

Yeah I know. Even with kids it's still such an ambiguous word. Kids would possibly mean it in the homophobic way if they thought it'd cause more hurt, but at that age probably don't really understand the issue, just that they're calling someone something.

>>94804
Mmhm, automated things can be pretty insensitive. Interesting factoid, evil as they can be, Google always try to detect sensitive subjects / tragedies / etc and not serve any ads, according to their privacy policy.

>>94808
>I see. Have you thought about it recently?
Nono, it's not something I'd think about unless something went really horribly wrong and there was literally no one to turn to (which is beyond unlikely)
More of a "late pre / early teens" thing and stayed there.

I hope it's not a consideration for yourself these days either?

>Success is very rare. Thinking about it is less rare than I would have thought.
I suspect at least the very basic (non serious) thought goes through most people at some point.

>one kid told me he wanted to die
And I think not really taking much notice of it was probably pretty reasonable for someone who didn't know him, and not knowing if it was something out of character to say, things like that. Certainly in the heat of a tantrum I think kids yell things like "I wish I was dead" - I suppose it's also something they'd say in a generally bad mood.
All the more reason I suppose that we can't be too hard on his parents or teachers for not taking him seriously. But anything we can do to as a society to help and improve on their training etc, all the better.

>What did you want them to listen to?
I honestly can't remember now. I don't think it was bullying. Probably just child-world problems. I do think I was about 10-12ish.
No. 94811
File 139171738379.png - (233.08KB , 687x625 , 12.png )
i wish i could save this kid...
No. 94812
>>94804
>More Funny Pictures and Quotes

Sickening how anyone can get laughs from that.

If it's the plushies, it's still not funny. Often times when someone is hospitalized, they buy or give the patient a plushie as a gift. He may not be aware, but when he may wake up, he may feel the plushie and possibly hug it.

Plushies and kids in hospitals are quite common as far as I know anyway.

Nothing funny, but it is very thoughtful some gave him those ponies. ^^

>>94808
>I'm glad things are going well for you. I've never derived any negative attention from liking My Little Pony, either. I think in some ways, it's nice to be an adult. Not that adults don't bully each other, but...most have more important things to worry about.

Glad it's working well for you. Indeed, case being most of the time adults are more mature and know better, whereas a kid are still learning, and if their parents don't teach, they won't learn. Remember, teachers at school aren't the teachers kids have, there's parents too.

>>94810
Whatever it was, both of those were popular. Nowadays, everyone is like "YEAH! TURTLES ARE AWESOME!" out of nostalgia. :P

Maybe, if they understand that gay means male/male relationship and they're afraid of that, that would be homophobic. Most cases they'll use "gay" to call somebody something, while possibly not understanding what it means.

>>94811
Me too Mikie, me too. He kind of made me think of you as his name was Michael and Pinkie Pie was his favorite.

If I was a kid in this school, I'd probably try to have the guts to stand up to him. It's nice to have that one friend who would be there for you. As the article did say, nobody stood up for him. :(
No. 94813
File 139172963069.png - (386.68KB , 1015x1080 , 208.png )
>>94812
pretty much. i have ADD myself. so when i was age, i know how that felt.

i just dunno what i can do to help... i want to help so badly :/
No. 94814
>>94813
aww *hugs*

One way is you can keep the boy in your thoughts and best wishes (the GoFundMe page allows comments, but it requires a Facebook login). Some people even created artwork for the kid, some are making others aware and how bad bullying has gotten (I seriously did not think suicide even though I was bullied as a kid)

Only so much people can do sometimes, but they do appreciate having Michael kept in thoughts and prayers, they even said it on Twitter last night.
No. 94815
File 13917303119.png - (188.39KB , 449x503 , 63.png )
>>94814
that's good... i will pray this kid makes it. thats just not fair on his part.

i have hope he'll make it
No. 94816
>>94815
Awesome Mikie. ^^

I hope so too. Like I said, an injury mom had gave her brain damage, with help she's able to live fine. It may be different with Michael, but with some help, maybe he can enjoy life again. I'm staying positive myself.
No. 94817
File 139174996371.jpg - (5.12KB , 275x183 , Fluttershy.jpg )
>>94813
*hugs*, Mikie. :)

>>94810
>it's not something I'd think about unless something went really horribly wrong
I'm glad it's not been on your mind recently. :)

>I hope it's not a consideration for yourself these days either?
I guess it's been a year since I was somewhat serious. I don't really think about it much anymore (except objectively as a discussion topic). Life must be pretty good for me... :)

>I suspect at least the very basic (non serious) thought goes through most people at some point.
Given something like 1 in 10 young adults reported having through about it seriously, I'd suppose so...

>Certainly in the heat of a tantrum I think kids yell things like "I wish I was dead" - I suppose it's also something they'd say in a generally bad mood.
I have no memory of kids doing this when I was a kid. But I generally have no other data. Probably, though...

>Probably just child-world problems. I do think I was about 10-12ish.
I see.

One thing that has been impressed on me is school is that the cognitive, social, and emotional world of a child or adolescent is (by many theories) qualitatively different than that of an adult.

>>94812
>Glad it's working well for you.
:)

>if their parents don't teach, they won't learn.
I skipped ahead in my textbook and read what it said about bullying. It essentialy explained two groups of bullies -- one that was bad at controlling violent impulses, or understand when someone was displaying agression toward them, causing them to respond with inappropriate agression. This group tends to continue bullying as they age, usually at the expense of their peer relations A second group used bullying to increase their social status. This group usually stops when it's no longer makes them more popular.

It's a difficult problem, but like you said, the book mentions interventions that parents and teachers might use to help bullies and victims....
No. 94818
>>94817
Interesting, you bring up a good point, people may do it to seem popular. I don't have any textbooks, so I'm talking from experience and others.

I actually brought this to attention because the place where mom gets therapy is very small and they keep on channel 7, which happened to have had a report on Michael's story. Led to a discussion on bullying.

Mom's thrapist brought up that her kid made fun of a girl because she liked Dora the Explorer (I don't like it, but bare with me) because it's a "baby's show". So his mom (the theapist) brought up told him he shouldn't do it, and he learned his lesson. There was also talk on how it's the parents too, how they raise their kids and such.

It is very difficult. Interesting, I take it this is a book you're studying from?
No. 94819
File 139179452934.png - (190.73KB , 952x840 , fluttershy__looking_particularly_shy__by_drfatalch.png )
>>94818
>which happened to have had a report on Michael's story. Led to a discussion on bullying.
Interesting. So it's being covered by news stations.

>and he learned his lesson.
That's good to hear. I do think there are ages where children are good at responding to rules, so telling them what to do can be effective. :)

>how they raise their kids and such.
This can get very complicated. In studies, as soon as adolescents become sophisticated enough to be able to understand social systems, adolescent social systems typically mirror adult social systems, therefore opression can mirror adult oppression. (If adults see being gay as undesireable, kids will pick up on that and respond in the way they treat others.) But...that's overly simplistic, too, since some of adolsenct culture is their own creation...

And like you said earlier, sometimes kids will respond to rules that prevent bullying. :)

>Interesting, I take it this is a book you're studying from?

I'm taking a class in Adolescent development. The book is Adolescence by Laurence Stienberg (9th edition). I find the application of scientific study to humans (especially children) interesting because I'm often cautious about common sense knowledge. Not that common sense is completely wrong, but history has shown that it is often incomplete. Kids are hard to study scientifically, so there are a lot of opportunities to increase what we know... :)
No. 94820
>>94819
Yup, more local stations, I'm here in New Jersey, and the station that had it was WABC. Here's some others... http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/micheal-morones-story-is-now-everywhere.html

Above in the second post is the first news story on it Here it is again http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9418200

(Note: I will only post links to actual news coverage and such, any personal links by the family I will not post out of respect).

Indeed, some may do it at first and learn after the parent does something to help them learn.

Ooh interesting. So possible case of a parent influencing their kids too.

Yup, that's always a good thing when they do that.

Ah I see, sounds like an interesting book. I can't blame that study to be hard as every kid does tend to be different too.
No. 94827
File 139189788396.png - (23.21KB , 123x86 , Dreaming.png )
i have faith he will recover. Fear is temporary condition, which he seem to have taken.
No. 94839
>>94827
Same here. Fear, you mean he was afraid of his bullies?
No. 94846
File 139202183266.jpg - (11.28KB , 284x177 , images-2.jpg )
I read up until the OP used the word donate.
No. 94848
>>94846
Okay, well if you'd managed a few more words after that, you'd see that it then says "but if you don't feel comfortable with donating (no one is forcing you)" and lists a few other ways you can help, if you care.

>>94811
Indeed, me too.

>>94812
Yeah pretty much. Point being if they know a particular context would hurt someone more, they'd go for that context.

>>94817
>I don't really think about it much anymore (except objectively as a discussion topic). Life must be pretty good for me... :)
Great to hear :)

>I have no memory of kids doing this when I was a kid.
I think I do, but now it's a question I can't think of specific examples.

True that the world of a child is very different. Which as has been suggested, makes this all the more puzzling - when looking at this incident there's been a tendency to apply adult reasoning. Personally, I don't doubt this was caused by bullying, but yeah I'm thinking more along the lines of the "way too successful cry for help" than the "wanting to leave this world" which is something that usually comes later.
Of course, ultimately the whys and hows aren't really for us to be concerned about - bottom line is an 11 year old in our 'family' needs support, that's what's important to me.

>>94827
Sure hope so. It's good to try and be optimistic about these things
No. 94853
File 13920259112.jpg - (335.27KB , 1920x1200 , wpshrine_Lucky_Star_179_1920x1200.jpg )
>>94848
Blame Amonisis

I dont care though. I dont mean that to be edgy or mean, its just this has no impact on me personally in any way. Of course if I had a choice to chang or not change his dilema, id choose him not being bullied, im an asshole but im not evil. But I dont and trying to care about every other random persons problems is impractical.

Besides which, he attempted suicide. I lose all respect right there but thats another textwall altogether i wont go Into right now.
No. 94854
>>94853
Ah ok
I think if folks don't care or disagree with it or whatever, that's up to them, but the general concept of "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" applies pretty well to a thread like this.
No. 94855
>>94853
>Besides which, he attempted suicide. I lose all respect right there
I won't push you to say more, but...I understand that conventional wisdom says that suicide is the coward's way out, and that cowards deserve no respect. I suppose convential wisdom is seldom completely untrue...

>>94848
>"way too successful cry for help" than the "wanting to leave this world"
Well, I'd assert that suicide is usually an attempt to escape emotional pain. I think most people don't really want to die.

>bottom line is an 11 year old in our 'family' needs support, that's what's important to me.
Yeah, I need to try that website again. :)

Take care, Cloud!
No. 94861
>>94855
I think it's different when it's children committing suicide, after facing daily unending abuse, at a place he was forced to go to and his parents forced to send him to by law.

We need to make it easier for kids to have an alternative to daily emotional battering in school. We wouldn't allow parents to abuse their children, but it's okay when children abuse other children?

I was bullied in high school, I had to be homeschooled senior year after having a nervous break down, where I was screaming I wasn't going back to that school and no one could make me.

We trap our children in places where they face unending emotional abuse, and then act surprised when they try to take their lives or the lives of others. This is the US' education legacy.
No. 94862
>>94861
This, all my this.

With school, you are basically forced to go there by law, plain and simple. This is not like a store, or public area where he may not be made fun of at all, this is a place he had to go to on a daily basis, and see the same kids just about every day.

I was bullied in elementary school and honestly I did not even think suicide, heck I didn't even know what the term even was when I was a kid. First time I heard of it was when I was 15.

Luckily bullying didn't happen much in the private school I went to. Most was I was called gay and stupid by two for liking Jimmy Neutron. Also one kid in a wheelchair there often laughed at me because I was still liking "kids cartoons" (it's not my fault it's better than teen and adult crap on TV :3).

Kids can be cruel, and it's hard to avoid them when you have no choice.

I agree, something needs to be done about bullies. As long as teachers don't want to get involved and such, it may never happen. If you harass someone at work, would the boss not do anything? Don't know about anyone here who works, but if harassment is even so much reported to the boss at my mom's job, FIRED! No exceptions.

We need less bullies and mean people in this world, we need more nice people who are willing to stand up to those who are weaker and be good friends with them. I sometimes imagine how this would have went if someone stood up for him. Sometimes having that one friend can make all the difference. In my elementary school, I had one friend, and it was very nice to have him there when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. ^^
No. 94865
The FundMe website worked for me this time. :)

>>94861
>I think it's different when it's children
>daily unending abuse
>forced to send him to by law.
Yes, I think so. For children, the legal, physical, and cognitive freedoms are different -- mostly they have fewer freedoms than adults. Impulse control and executive funtions are still developing...

The feelings of emotional pain are likely pretty similar, though...

>I was bullied in high school
*hugs*

I don't remember the exact figure, but I think something like a third of children are bullied in some way. It must have made school very difficult. I hope things are better now...
No. 94867
>>94865
They're not, we are imprisoning our kids to a place they cannot leave by sending them to school. They can't just call mom and say, "I want to go home." Adults can get fired for walking off a job, but they are not made to be there against their will.
No. 94868
>>94867
>they are not made to be there against their will.
Yes, true. I know adults in my country (the USA), at least, are seldom institutionalized against their will.

>They're not
Hmm...I'm not sure what to say. I can certainly see the rational for wanting children to be educated with basic ideas and skills to help them succeed as adults. But when you concentrate children in one place (especially when the children are not otherwise engaged), bullying seems to happen to some of them.

I don't know...what do you think should be done? What kind of alternative would you like to see?

And...how are things going for you, Anonpony?
No. 94870
>>94868
Children should have a choice between homeschooling and at schooling if they've been bullied. Bully children should have a 3 strikes rule, if they can't learn how to behave like human beings, they can get their education elsewhere. Perhaps the parents should be made responsible to find their child another placement as motivation for them to raise a child who isn't a sociopath.

If a child reports bullying the school should believe them, not victim blame them by saying they did something to deserve the bullying. The student accused of being a bully should be made to visit a school psychologist, ideally one who can tell the difference between a bully crying because they were caught and a student who was misunderstood.

Right now we have an epidemic of victim blaming when it comes to bullying, because it's easier to convince the victim something is wrong with them than to confront the bully and in most cases their bully parents. Victims of bullying are left in a state of walking on eggshells, trying to guess at what might set them off. This is the exact behavior adult victims of abuse learn to adapt to try and remain safe from their abusers.

So we have students unable to learn from anxiety, depression, even in some cases having symptoms of PTSD from enduring bullying that seems without end. This site has more info about this:

http://www.outofthefog.net/CommonBehaviors/Bullying.html

As far as how I've been doing. The people at Disney released a new level of the Disney Fairies Hidden Treasure game which I was looking forward to. In case any of you were wondering after reading that, I'm female, lol.
No. 94887
File 13922388584.png - (70.99KB , 384x384 , Mei15.png )
>>94839
It's just fear in general. It doesn't matter what causes it, sometimes it can blur the vision.
No. 94889
File 139226083986.png - (265.50KB , 913x876 , fluttershy___the_mane_dress_project_by_kibbiethegr.png )
>>94870
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Anonpony. :) I'm sorry that I don't have the energy right now to think deeply about what you've said, but I may have more time over the weekend. :)

>new level of the Disney Fairies Hidden Treasure game which I was looking forward
Sounds neat! I wanted to watch Disney Fairies, and downloaded some of the artwork, but never got to actually watching the film. Is it good?

>I'm female, lol.
I am too. Gender is...a complex subject. But, I think when it comes to what a person likes, it's not super important...

I hope you have a great day, Anonpony!

>>94887
Hi Kikuto! :)
No. 94890
>>94889
The films are very cute!
No. 94894
>>94887
Ok, I get it.

>>94889
>>94890
I'm not a Disney Fairies fan, but I remember seeing Tinker Bell (the movie) when we still had cable on Disney Channel. Actually, it was surprisingly good. ^^
No. 94895
>>94894
I really enjoyed how much diversity it had, if only Disney could export that to some of it's other projects. The artwork is gorgeous, which is why I love the game. You can't help being relaxed with the soothing music and art from the film.

There used to be a mmorpg called Pixie Hollow based on it but it was shut down, I think due to lack of interest or kids finding ways of escaping the auto-censorship they had of bad words. I took it for granted, and now feel like, "Why didn't I appreciate it while it was still there??" At least Club Penguin is still up, it's interesting whenever an event happens.
No. 94897
File 139235013634.png - (190.73KB , 952x840 , fluttershy__looking_particularly_shy__by_drfatalch.png )
>>94870
>Children should have a choice between homeschooling and at schooling if they've been bullied.
That makes sense. If someone is worrying about bullying, probably not much learning is going to happen. I knew some who were homeschooled when I was a kid (not because of bullying, but more for religious reasons.) Do parents have the choice now?

>they can get their education elsewhere.
I see. I suppose in most cases, other schools are nearby. In rural areas, this would be a bit harder. But the idea makes sense -- and it would be especially effective if the bully were trying to gain popularity.

>Perhaps the parents should be made responsible to find their child another placement as motivation for them to raise a child who isn't a sociopath.
Hmm...how do you think parents effect bullying at school?

>not victim blame them by saying they did something to deserve the bullying.
I see people posting things on Facebook about how our current school system isn't teaching kids to stand up for themselves. But, if my guess is right, I think bullies seldom target people who can stand up for themselves. Your article mentions a different in power between the bully and victim.

>a bully crying because they were caught and a student who was misunderstood.
Well, I suppose either way something isn't right...

>because it's easier to convince the victim something is wrong with them than to confront the bully
Yes, I think so. It's easy to say that someone is doing things to deserve being bullied -- like it's easy to say poor people deserve to be poor. It frees people from having to think about the issues much.

>This is the exact behavior adult victims of abuse learn to adapt to try and remain safe from their abusers.
Yes, I think abusive aduls and children aren't much different.

>So we have students unable to learn from anxiety, depression, even in some cases having symptoms of PTSD from enduring bullying that seems without end.
I see. You know a lot about this topic.

As I think back to my childhood, I realize I was never badly bullied, even though I was shy, socially awkward, absent minded, and generally unpopular. Luck, I guess. I'm sorry you weren't as lucky, but it seems you have some perspective on the issue. :)
No. 94905
>>94895
I can agree to that, was a very nice looking movie

>There used to be a mmorpg called Pixie Hollow based on it but it was shut down

That too? O_o I remember playing World of Cars with a trial code I got with Cars 2 for DS. I used it and played it for the unlockables in the DS game. When I went to play after, F2P was severely limited. You couldn't even use items you had unless you pay.

That's why I thought WoC shut down, parents not gullible enough to pay for a game like that. I'm sure if I was a kid, and I wanted to play the game, I'm sure my mom would have said no. It's different than buying a game to keep.

>I think due to lack of interest or kids finding ways of escaping the auto-censorship they had of bad words

Hehe, Disney DGamer on DS in a nutshell. Now on it (is it even up still? Cars 2 and Phineas and Ferb Across the 2nd Dimension didn't have it) you can only use speedchat, which is emoticon animations and preset words Disney approved of. :P
No. 95544
how did he turn out in the end?
did he die, and furthermore what happened in the community about it all?
No. 95548
>>95544
To keep any trolling at ease, I haven't bumped the topic. But, great news is he didn't die. If anything, he's slowly recovering.

Last I read, Michael is breathing more on his own and has a wheelchair (which sounds like a limitation, I've been to a school where some kids were in wheel chairs. In fact, a friend of mine was one of them and actually went on to do a lot in life despite the limitation).

They were doing exercises to help him function again (arm from over head to belly)

He was in a rehabilitation facility, and awesomely Andrea Libman even gave him a visit.

Cloud probably knows some stuff I may have left out, at the moment, I'm remembering this off the top of my head.

Things are good, he's very slowly recovering, which is a great thing. :D
No. 95564
>>95544
Basically, what Snowy said.

The reality is he'll never fully recover, he'll need support for the rest of his life. To go into the obvious uncomfortable details, well... from what I've seen, he's not really able to interact much at this stage (just appears as if staring into the distance in photos/vids) but his family are obviously more in tune with how he's responding to things.

But he's come along a lot better than anyone expected. I believe he's headed home from the hospital either already or this week (not kept on top of the news), but will need full time care there, but that's a long way from wondering whether he'll wake up.

Last I heard they weren't 100% sure whether he could see or not but it was sounding like he can... I imagine they know by now, but again, I've not been keeping totally on top of it. The family's had a LOT of trolling with it reaching the chans and whatnot, so they're pretty cautious with the details.
No. 95589
This is what you get for liking a little girls cartoon when your a boy
No. 95590
>>95589
Sadly, sometimes, yes. Hopefully if we keep working on chipping away gender roles (it works for girls for the most part) and controlling bullying, that can keep reducing.
No. 95591
>>95590
I forgot to add lol.

Im so Drak and Egdy
No. 95599
>>95591
Attempted suicide and lifelong brain damage: hilarious

I could swear at one point you hinted at wanting to not be a douche
No. 95600
>>95599
Yeah but im a douche, thefor I was lying.

Oh come on, I mean look if they beat him up and put him in a coma, id be on his side. But he pussied out and tried to kill himself. No sympathy.

Christ i got verbally bullied constantly as a kid, didnt make me wanna top myself, just turned me into a hate filled douche, which is sad, but better than being dead.
No. 95601
>>95600
Because of course 11 year olds are completely rational and never make any mistakes ever, and there's no such thing as mental illness
No. 95602
>>95600
>Christ i got verbally bullied constantly as a kid, didnt make me wanna top myself, just turned me into a hate filled douche, which is sad, but better than being dead.
Some people have temperaments that make them more prone to externalizing anger -- expressing aggression outward. Some are more prone to internalizing -- and express anger inward. Micheal was probably more prone to internalizing his anger or sadness.
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]